Manchester Cycles to The Hague (or just Doncaster or Hull...;)
Manchester UK to The Hague NL in collaboration with Ride For Their Lives. We are a group of paediatric healthcare providers riding to the ESPE 2023 conference in The Hague instead of getting on a plane.
- Because the climate crisis is the biggest threat to paediatric public health
- Because the RCPCH and Greater Manchester Combined Authority have declared a climate emergency
- Because children in the UK and worldwide are dying as a direct result of air pollution
- Because flying releases >15 times more CO2 than cycling and taking the ferry
- Because inactivity contributes to a quarter of UK children being obese; we want to promote active travel
We are planning a collective action to raise awareness of air pollution, climate change and the rising childhood obesity crisis while directly reducing the climate impact of this conference.
I can’t cycle that far and I’m not even going to ESPE!
We would be thrilled if as many people joined us as possible - you don’t have to be an endocrinologist or a medic, just on board with our vision! Trains are your friend: there are almost endless ways in which you can use trains to join for as much or as little as you like.
Current planned rides include:
- As much as you like (1km out and 1km back?) from RMCH on Monday 18th September leaving at 0830
- A long (and fairly hilly) 90km route from RMCH to Doncaster on Monday 18th September leaving at 0830 (purple route)
- Another long (but flat) 90km from Doncaster to Hull on Tuesday 19th September (red route)
- A short/medium (and completely flat!) route from Rotterdam to ESPE in The Hague on Wednesday 20th September (green route). Calling Europeans for this leg!!
Electric bikes encouraged. No lycra required!